Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Thursday 27 May 2010

Very long cycle today 180km easy pace - done for the time in the saddle

I can appreciate a lot of people's initial reaction - it must be so boring, what do you think about?

The advice I was given was to use all available cues to bring your attention/focus into the present. Forget about the past, don't stress about the future. Concentrate on technique.

Two years ago I was lucky enough to get a month's intensive coaching from psychologist who has trained the likes of Damon Hill and athletes at the English institute for sport. Formula 1 drivers think about gear changes and lines around bends. If they nail them the by-product is a fast lap time. They never think about getting a fast lap time, that is called "end-gaming" and is why England commonly loose football matches when earlier they were ahead.

Hard to do, and where's the enjoyment in that - but worth bearing in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Hi James

    Love the blog - thanks for sending it round the serpie group. I have to say seeing how you balance all the elements of your life makes my job look pretty easy!
    Congrats on birth of no.2 and good luck with your training!
    RachelJ

    ReplyDelete