Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Swim 9 x 200m on 25-50sec at CSS (Critical swim speed)

So added another set to the weekly interval session.
Quietly hoping to get up to 16 which would be great for the ironman as that would be a total of 3.6 km.
If I could break an hour for the ironman swim I would be over the moon. You can go a lot faster in a wet suit as the bouyancy keeps you in the correct position but there's also a fair bit of stuff in the open water that can spoil your day. I think my best time is 1h 06min but am usually around 1h 15min.

There is a school of thought that says to the energy you need to spend to knock 15mins of your swim just isn't worth it. You'd be better spending that on the run. This is because as you move through the disciplines, swim-cycle-run the resistance from the surrounding "fluids" (air and water) reduces. Air resistance on the bike at 40km/h accounts for about 80% of the energy needed.

Tonight I tried to concentrate on keeping my head in a neutral position and not lifting it to breathe. If you lift your head your feet sink you present more frontal surface to the water creating drag and slow down.

Did a bit of gym work - squat, core, and some stretching nothing too major.

Hopefully there will be some video footage below. As I mentioned, one of the real reasons for this blog was to learn how it is all done - especially video etc, hopefully it will get more professional over the weeks. (this has taken an hour of trial and error, luckily the family are all asleep)



This was taken in the endless pool at swim for tri. You swim against a current and so stay in the same place which lends itself to being filmed - and having your stroke heavily criticised!

Errors here are;
1. Hand to high - should lead with elbow, hand should always be below elbow (looks worse on right side)
2. Surfing - when arm outstretched hand moving up to present palm to front wall
3. Entering water hand should be flat, mine is rotated right round
The list goes on. Has made me think I better go back for another session to see if anything has changed at all!

If you go along - say hello from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment