Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 19 June 2011

Brick

Turbo
4hours
1 hour 170watts 80-90rpm
2 hours as 4 x (25mins 220watts 80-90rpm on 5mins recovery) 4min aero 1min upright
1 hour - some standing 1min on 1min off, 200-170watts



Run 
10km - 8.5km as walk run - 4min run 30secs walk, with 1.5km easy jog cool down.



Luckily it was father's day so I was able to get the 5hours it took to do all of this without too much negotiation - thank you Ella.
- bit uncomfortable on the bike but largely due to the long run on Friday I think.
- no improvement in heart rate between aero position and normal, but a global improvement overall. the last set being about 140/min.
- starting to take on a proper amount of carbohydrate during all this - about 260g of table sugar for the bike! - the aim is to get about 60g/hr in. The rest was to take me through onto the run. I took most of it during the main 2 hours which was OK. This is also trainable, some people can get 100g in which can give you a huge advantage. One of the most common reasons for not finishing an ironman is digestion problems.

- I tried the run walk strategy for the first time in a triathlon setting. I had done the exact same thing in the  London marathon as an experiment and it had worked far better than expected. I have been putting this off feeling that I didn't want to disturb the training. I was remarkable, I keep to 4min/km pace and felt like the usual niggles didn't get worse as time went on.
- I am coming round to the idea of adopting this for the race, it will take a huge amount of faith that you aren't loosing too much whilst walking. 
- Thinking a lot about why this strategy should work so well - may be in our evolution we never ran continuously. Stopping either to check the tracks of animals, regroup, check we weren't being followed etc, 


No comments:

Post a Comment