Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 3 July 2011

Brick

Turbo
2hr 30min
30 min warm up
(50min 220W 80-90rpm on 10min recovery) x 2

Run
10km as 4km race pace (run walk) 6km easy

This was a tough day - pretty much the same session as yesterday. During the second set on the bike there was some real protesting - my way through this was to break up the time mentally and just say i'll stop after 5 more minutes. Then with 10 minutes to go I may as well finish the whole thing.

You'd think by now i'd know how much difference the aero position makes but I didn't. So yesterday I did some research - finally came across an app at http://bikecalculator.com/
- with your work put in (watts) you can change the position and keeping everything the same see what the effect on speed is.
- The numbers below are just for the comparison - I don't think i''ll be maintaining 220W, I don't know how heavy my bike is, what the grade is or what the headwind will be. It's amazing the difference though;



Column A represents holding the top of the handle bar and Column B the aero position - for the same energy in you go 7km/hr faster! and cover the ironman distance 1 hour quicker! Personally I can't believe it but even if the effect is half this it's worth it.
- So today the turbo was done in the aero position - alternating 4mins in it with 1min off. That probably explains why it was so hard.
- comparing the heart rate to 11th June when I last did this intensity in this way, it was much better today. I hope that means i'm finding the aero position easier even though it didn't feel like it. It was about 9bpm less today. 

The run was similar to yesterday - still undecided about the run walk plan but am keeping an open mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment