Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 17 September 2011

Brick (=Bike Run)
Turbo 
30min warm up
(50min x 200W on 10min recovery) x 3
Total 3hr 30min
Run
Easy pace to gym 4km
Treadmill 8km at race pace (14km/hr)
Easy run home 4km
Total = 16km
1hour 10min

Today was really good for the confidence. I've had a lot going on this week and the 4th week before the race is meant to be the huge volume week followed by a 3 week taper.
It didn't look like it was realistic to do the 180km cycle both weather and time wise. Negotiated with Ella - I took the kids to the park in the morning, did the lunch etc, whilst she went for a run. Ella took them to her sisters in the afternoon.


Will did his best to have a go at Peckham Rye's "green gym" Unfortunately much to his annoyance his arms and legs weren't long enough to work the machines!

The 180km cycle was to have 3 x 30km at race pace in it so I just did this part of it.
I had a couple of really good learning points from this;
1. Previously I have taken "race pace" as 220W because i've not really peaked for this week I decided to take it cautiously and go at 200W. The heart rate (HR) data tells it all;
The HR was low for the first set and I felt like the intensity wasn't enough. By the third set it was right where i'd want to be on race day but the intensity hadn't changed. This is a mirror of how you should race which until now I hadn't fully appreciated. It should feel easy for the first few hours. I think in previous races I going by heart rate I have gone too fast and paid for it later. This is the advantage of having a power meter - I need to save my pocket money! Bottom line though is that I need to be really strict with a heart rate ceiling early on.

2. The bike position. - leading up to the last race I felt a little uncomfortable on the bike and so started putting little wedges in the cleats. This led to major cramps later on that cost me 20mins lowering the saddle. I had the same feeling today and so lowered the saddle - eureka - the position felt fantastic. This also fits in with my thoughts on psoas muscle imbalance/tightness. Lowering the saddle (only 2mm!) should reduce the affect of any imbalance.
The bike fit took place with a different saddle so this makes me think the new one is actually a little deeper despite looking fairly similar.

The run,
Only thing to mention here is the treadmill was set to display km/hr but only when I finished did I realise the distance was set in miles - so instead of doing 5km I did 8km.
It reminded me of my younger weight training days - I did my best ever bench press of 105kg but only because I had put more weight on than I realised - So much comes down to perception and what your mind tells you.
The middle section is on the treadmill. The spike in the third is artefact. 
In a perfect world we'd have checked out the bike powered cinema at Peckham Rye this evening but it wasn't meant to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment