Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 19 September 2011

Run
Afternoon - 60mins easy pace about 6min/km - along the Thames path. 

Evening - 20mins easy, then 30mins around race pace

A mixed day of training today. Again I felt a bit lop-sided running with a lot of tightness in the right quad/TFL. As I warmed up and thought it through it improved.
I was tired for the session in the evening and had been looking after George for a few hours as he has a fever. It was one of those occasions when I just thought i'd try and follow the program, and see how I felt after 10mins or so. As usual it all came good and I had a great run. I did the second run on the treadmill, dialled down the speed a little to 12.9km/hr (didn't want to do 13 - how silly is that!). I think the music being the right tempo in the gym had a lot to do with it. 
If there was ever a time to come down with a cold it's now. Will has been coughing over me all day.

I heard a nugget of wisdom from Liz Yelling's husband today discussing Mo Farah's 10km at the World Championships. Apparently you should always go through the gears when changing speed, and he missed several out in his final surge that his competitor didn't. It's worth remembering and is even more important the longer the event - Avoid spikes in power. 

I remember registering for twitter years ago and resurrected my account so I can follow the pros when we're in Hawaii - it would be good to cycle with them (I could keep up for 5mins surely?) 

A Will and Daddy day tomorrow - does that mean a rest day?

No comments:

Post a Comment