Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 2 October 2011

Swim


Ironman course

Today was meant to be a rest day but there's a lot of fitting in with everyone else's plans so swim it was. Ella and I decided to do the full course which is an out and back in Kona. When it gets a little deeper and the fish get bigger the nerves took some ignoring.
We got to a buoy marked IMT which I assumed was ironman turn around - we got back far too quickly though so i'm not sure if we did it all. We were out for about 50mins, Ella's that fast but i'm definitely not.

In the afternoon we had signed up to see Manta Rays - you basically hand off a raft at dusk that has lots of lights on. The lights attract plankton which the Manta Rays eat. We didn't see any unfortunately. It took me a while to think of something funny to say; "it wasn't manta be"

The bloke next to me on the raft was doing the ironman as well - there was one advantage to not being skinny, he was shivering and I wasn't.
Oh yeh - and I nearly ate my body weight in pretzels on the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment