Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Friday 20 January 2012

Physio


Went to Marylebone physiotherapy today and saw the lovely Amy. It was brilliant. I feel like i'm starting to understand some of the niggles and have a plan now. Let the work begin. I can't recommend Amy enough, she'll sort out any problems you may have.

I now have to;
1. Stretch pecs
2. Loosen the posterior capsule of shoulder
3. Do arm exercises without using the pecs
3. Lift my legs with my lower abs/core and not the upper
4. Improve the height of the right single leg calf raise

Swim

Two things coincided.
1. The swim smooth people sent me an email about the benefits of breathing every 5, 7 or even 9 strokes!!! (I couldn't even do 3 in 2005)
2. I'm reading a book called "Bounce" which is all about the purposeful practice of Tiger Woods, Beckham and other sporting ledgends. Basically if you keep trying at things that seem just out of reach your performance will sky rocket. You have to be comfortable with a lot a failure though.

So tonight
Warm up
10 x 100m as 3,5,7,3 strokes per breath repeated - each of these took 25m so it worked out nicely.
400m as 60-70 strokes a minute (faster than normal)
400m as 25m closed fists 25m open fists
Cool down
Total = 2km

This is the first time if attempted 7 strokes per breath - it was managable. I think the point is that you then find 5 much easier.
The reasons they gave;
- It rids the lungs and blood stream of CO2, the build-up of which is what leads to feelings of tension or even panic.
- It makes swimming more aerobic by improving the gas exchange in your lungs.
- It means that when you do go to breathe you only have to inhale, not exhale and inhale in the short window available to you.
- It reduces the buoyancy in your chest which helps keep your buoyancy balanced, bringing your legs up higher towards the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment